31 Aug How Will We Produce Food to Reduce Hunger?
In a world where the population is expected to reach nine billion by 2050, where two billion people suffer malnutrition, 30% of produced food goes to waste during production and delivery process, and food insecurity and climate change represent huge sustainability treats,optimizing inefficient food supply chains and transport chains represents a huge opportunity. Here’s a very interesting report byThompson Reuters on the challenges that the food industry must face for feeding the world in the future, focusing on data intelligence.
Aimed at contributing to a change in the agri-food industry that enables a more just and safer access to basic foodstuffs, reaching more people in more places, Blendhub’s business model is completely directed in making the most out of technology and data to design a new way of producing food based on the word’s first portable powder blending factory and a toolbox drawn from the knowledge accumulated by our companies working for more than 18 years in the food powder blends sector.
According to Thompson Reuters’s report, some of the challenges facing agri-food production are related to:
- The increase and concentration of the population, and the need to produce locally
- Unsustainable transport chain and its environmental impact
- Lack of transparency in food supply chains and insecurity
- The need for developing more flexible models for a fast changing and global markets
- The capacity to take advantage of new data tools to increase productivity
At Blendhub, we have tackled some of this issues through our business model:
- Bringing food powder blends production where it is needed through our modular and portable factory, able to be in operation in less than six months anywhere in the world or the value chain
- Conducting customized business plans to detect supply chain optimization opportunities in less than 72 hours for our customers and collaborators. Achieving the lowest price per produced kilo and the minimum risk in addressing new opportunities
- Our transparency, cloud analysis system – based on a NIR library with more than 10,000 samples of 300 raw materials – the technology of our portable powder blending – meeting the highest food standards, ensuring traceability – and a sophisticated IT control system -allowing remote control of the factory, and the integration of its system with those of the client – allows us to produce high quality food powder blends at the minimum cost.
- Flexibility is in the heart of our business model intended at being locally and acting globally, allowing to produce anywhere or move production to the most suitable location, both close to raw materials or distribution channels.
- Due to our experience in the sector, and our full-service platform for food powder blends we can benchmark opportunities, locating the best places to produce all over the world to reduce the final price, optimizing supply chain, locating best raw materials and improving food formulas.
As stated in the report, arranging the current food supply, from the many different perspectives of the stakeholders involved in the agri-food production, making it fairer and efficient, could eliminate hunger today. Contributing to that change is our main objective.